I hope you are prepared for a fully loaded edition of the Hump Day edition of The Morning Mix.
Time to hit the links.
– Dan Roundfield, a center and Central Michigan that went on to star in the ABA, drowned off the coast of Aruba on Monday while saving his wife from waves and a strong current
– The next team to get a shot at Team USA is Australia. At the last Olympics, the Aussies were led then-Saint Mary’s guard Patty Mills. This time, yet another Gaels guard leading the way for the team from down under
– CBS Eye on College Hoops continues their series on coaching polls. Today’s question, who is the most underrated coach in the country?
– You just knew that coaching concerns would arise in Storrs, CT following Jim Calhoun’s bicycle accident and subsequent hip surgery, and according to reports, current assistant coach Kevin Ollie is getting the most praise
– Could the 2007-2008 National Championship Florida team defeat the current reigning (and defending) NCAA National Champion Kentucky Wildcats? Some of the former-Gators think so
– Kansas got their first of the win of the off-season, defeating Team Switzerland in an exhibition game, 79,76
– The schedules for the Big-Ten/ACC Challenge and the Big East/SEC Invitational have been released. Duke vs. Ohio State and Notre Dame vs. Kentucky headline the respective events
– Cincinnati landed the services of JuCo seven-footer David Nyarsuk. The native of Sudan played last season at NAIA power Mountain State University . Click the link for a random weekday posterization
– Speaking of the lower ranks, the JuCo ranks will get step up in competition with the addition of former flame-outs Jelan Kendrick and Justin Coleman. Kendrick got in a fight at Memphis and walked off the court at Ole Miss. Coleman spent an entire game texting on his phone from the bench at Marshall
– A great top-ten list of the best returning players in the Northeast Conference. LIU-Brooklyn is going to be loaded again, with three players in the top six
– In case you were wondering how big of an impact Anthony Stover’s departure will have on UCLA, Pacific Takes tells us that it probably won’t be that huge
– St. John’s wing Amir Garrett got called up to the Cincinnati Reds Rookie League affiliate, the Billings Mustangs
– Q&A sesssion with former-Villanova star Kerry Kittles. Not a single question about his socks? That’s a waste of a Q&A session
– If Keith Clanton decides not to return to Central Florida, Kentucky and Florida State could be options
– Trey Lyles, one of Indiana’s highly coveted recruits, has decided to decommit. The Indianapolis-native is still inclined to attend IU, but wants to see what his options are
– Speaking of Indiana, here is a rather lengthy preview of a potential Legends Classic between UCLA and Indiana
– With the graduation of Ryan Pearson and Mike Morrison, Erik Kopes could be the guy to step-up and become the star
– Did North Carolina State head coach Mark Gottfried start the #FreeRodneyPurvis movement?
– Oklahoma State center Phillip Jurick got busted for pot and won’t travel with the team overseas on their exhibition trip
– There is not another school in the country that can pale in comparison to Kentucky when it comes to Antiques Roadshow artifacts. The No other program is even close. Most of the items are pretty awesome, but nothing compares to the prosthetic leg
Remember, if you are on Twitter and you find something that’s worthy of a mention in The Morning Mix, use the hashtag #ReadoftheDay