NCAA denies final UConn appeal on APR, Huskies banned from 2013 tournament


The NCAA’s Committee on Academic Performance has denied the University of Connecticut’s final appeal of a postseason ban on the school’s men’s basketball team for the 2012-13 season, the university announced Thursday.

“While we as a University and coaching staff clearly should have done a better job academically with our men’s basketball student-athletes in the past, the changes we have implemented have already had a significant impact and have helped us achieve the success we expect in the classroom,” coach Jim Calhoun in a statement.

The NCAA used averages over a four- and two-year span to decide a ruling for Connecticut, from the years 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-2010, and 2010-11.

Connecticut contests that the data had already been submitted, but under a different penalty system, which would not have resulted in exclusion from the postseason for the program.

Kevin Duffy of Hearst Media reports that Connecticut has one last hope, and that is if the NCAA decides to shift its window of time where APR data was collected. He reports that that decision could come later this month or in July.

Rising senior Alex Oriakhi has announced that he is transferring from the program and, now that the final appeal has been denied, he will be able to forego the normally obligatory one-year sit-out rule for transfers and play right away, as per NCAA rules.

The Huskies finished this season 20-14, including 8-10 in the Big East. They lost to Iowa State in the Round of 64 in the NCAA tournament.

Four-star recruit Omar Calhoun is the lone prospect signed to the Huskies from the Class of 2012.

For a full explanation of how the APR is calculated and the sanctions that are imposed for failure to comply with regulations, check the NCAA piece here.

Daniel Martin is a writer and editor at, covering St. John’s. You can find him on Twitter:@DanielJMartin_

Florida Gulf Coast’s Demetris Morant out 3-4 months

Leave a comment

Florida Gulf Coast redshirt junior forward Demetris Morant is expected to miss the next 3-4 months after undergoing surgery last week to repair a stress fracture in his right shin, the school announced on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 4.5 points, 4.4 blocks and 1.3 blocks per game in 33 appearances (18 starts) for the Eagles during the 2014-15 season.

“This is obviously an unfortunate setback for Demetris, but it was a procedure that needed to be done,” Florida Gulf Coast head coach Dooley said in a statement. “We decided it would be best to have it completed now to hopefully get him back for A-Sun play. It’s an opportunity now for other guys to step up in his absence, and I have confidence they’ll get the job done.”

The Eagles have the top frontline in the Atlantic Sun, one that returns Marc-Eddy Norelia and Filip Cvjeticanin, a 3-point shooter who missed all of last season recovering from back surgery. VCU transfer Antravious Simmons becomes eligible in the second semester.

Florida Gulf Coast begins the 2015-16 season on Nov. 14 against Ohio.

Bill Self on Cheick Diallo: ‘It may be a couple of more weeks’

2015 McDonald's All American Game
Leave a comment

Cheick Diallo is currently practicing with Kansas, but his eligibility still remains in question.

On Monday, Kansas head coach Bill Self appeared on “The Border Patrol” on WHB-AM 810 and was asked to update the status of his freshman big man.

“He’s been cleared to practice,” Self told hosts Steven St. John and Nate Bukaty. “(His status) is depending on what they find throughout from the information we submit to them whenever we get it all together.

“A lot of people think, ‘Well, why wouldn’t it all be together?’ Well there’s a lot of reasons why. It’s because they told us recently some things that they just wanted. Instead of just throwing it to them piece by piece, they requested we to just submit it all together, so it may be a couple of more weeks before we’re able to submit everything when you’re talking about getting information from schools in Mali and everything like that.

“But we hope in two weeks, maybe three weeks, before we have a definite answer. But right now, Cheick is like everybody else. He’s practicing.”

Diallo, a 6-foot-9 forward from Mali is allowed to practice with the Jayhawks, but has been waiting to be cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center despite enrolling in classes over the summer and earning six credits. Self anticipated this would be a long process, but has remained confident Diallo, the top-5 recruit in Class of 2015, will eventually be cleared to play this season.

For three years, Diallo attended Our Savior New American School in Centereach, New York, which is currently under NCAA review. In September, Pitt freshman Damon Wilson, Diallo’s teammate at OSNA, was cleared to play.

Kansas opens the season on Nov. 13 against Northern Colorado.